Lauren O’Connor a Los Angeles based registered dietitian with @Nutri Savvy Health featured a PaleoPro Collagen Caramel Apples Recipe:
With Halloween coming up and lots of treats to navigate, why not make your own healthy treats. With a little love, some whole food ingredients and some creativity, you can make your favorite treats with less sugar and a whole lot more whole food goodness.
After making the first batch Lauren decided to thicken it up..
Caramel Take Two for my Caramel Apples
How I improved and thickened the sauce for a more gooey caramel appeal:
Since first batch was thin, I set ahead to make another with an added scoop of PaleoPro and 1/2 tbsp coconut oil. It worked.
At 6g of Protein per serving with only 70 calories we decided it was something other PaleoPro lovers would want to try. Recipe below:
- 40g Caramel candy (With or without chocolate)
- ¼ cup Light Coconut Milk
- 2 Scoop of PaleoPro Aztec Vanilla Collagen Powder
- ½ Tablespoon Coconut oil
- Hemp seeds
- Cocoa nibs
- Melt caramels in microwave, for about 30 seconds till completely melted but not boiling*.
- Mix in coconut milk, collagen powder and coconut oil until well blended.
- Microwave again for another 30 seconds to a minute (stirring after 30 seconds) until mixture hot and smooth (should just start to bubble), don’t overheat.
- Pour onto rinsed/dried apples when bubbles disappear and add optional toppings. (Hemp Seeds & Cocoa nibs)
- Refrigerate to set.
- *Important: If melted caramel is too hot, it will start to re harden when adding coconut milk. So just heat until melted and whisk in milk, powder, coconut oil right away.
- Makes approximately ½ cup. Enough to coat 3 large apples or 6 small.